Information for Patients
At the Time of Your Visit
Our office staff will update our system records to ensure we have current and accurate contact and insurance information. Our physicians and clinical staff will make a detailed review of your current problem and past medical history.
For your convenience and to make your visit more effective, please note the following:
Your child’s pediatrician’s referral indicating his/her condition.
If you have received Patient Information and Medical History forms in the mail, or downloaded them in advance of your visit, please complete them and remember to bring them with you.
Bring a list of all vitamins and medicines your child is using.
If your child has a complex problem, please bring copies of medical records or special tests including the actual CT or MRI scans.
Please bring your insurance card and be prepared to pay any co-payment required by your health insurance. (Note: Your appointment will have to be rescheduled if you cannot provide your insurance card or information.)
Bring a list of questions and concerns.
A friend or family member can be helpful in taking notes or with questions.
If you are unable to keep your appointment, please call us as soon as possible to cancel it or to schedule another appointment.
Doctor appointments can be scheduled Monday thru Friday from 8am to 5pm. Children up to 12 years of age may be seen by Dr. González Aquino, while appointments with Dr. Seda-Diaz can be scheduled for minors up to 21 years. Patients should arrive one (1) hour before their scheduled appointment. In our Audiology Institute Center, appointments can be scheduled from 8am to 3pm.
Before Surgery Instructions
• A couple of days prior to surgery, parents and patient must complete the pre-admission process.
• Do not eat or drink anything including water after midnight of the day preceding surgery. Undigested food in the
stomach can cause complications, and your child’s surgery is likely to be postponed if you forget.
• Bathe or shower your child the morning of surgery to minimize the chance of infection. Teeth may be brushed, but water SHOULD NOT be swallowed.
• If your child experiences any health changes between his/her most recent visit to your surgeon and the day of surgery, please
notify your surgeon. Please report even minor changes, such as an elevated temperature, cough or cold.
• Leave jewelry and other valuables at home.
• Wear casual loose clothing during surgery; your child will wear a patient gown provided by the Surgery Center.
• At least one parent must arrange to be at the surgery center during surgery and to drive your child home. You should also arrange
to have someone stay with him/her for the first night following your surgery.
• If your child is having surgery, feel free to bring his favorite stuffed animal or security blanket for added reassurance.
• Limit the number of people who accompany you to the center. However, we do welcome both parents of the pediatric patient. To maximize the comfort of all visitors, we suggest that adult (grandparents or others) companions be limited to one per patient.
• Wear flat comfortable slip-on shoes.
• Wear comfortable loose clothing to accommodate large dressings and/or tender surgery sites.
After Surgery Instructions
• You will stay at the center for approximately 2 hours after the surgery is completed. Parents must be prepared to stay at the center during surgery and until discharge. This will allow the physician to discuss any necessary information with the parent.
• Eat a light diet for the first 24 hours after surgery.
• Follow any specific home care instructions you receive after your surgery.
• The medical staff will discharge you when they are assured your child is in stable condition. HOWEVER, your child could still feel sleepy, slightly dizzy, or nauseated. These are possible and normal side effects of anesthesia and can last for 12-24 hours.
• If any problems occur after you arrive home you should contact your doctor’s office at:
• 787-268-2310 or 787-774-7972
• San Jorge Children’s Hospital Emergency 787-727-5555.